A Special Council Meeting was held last night to “Adopt the 2018/19/20 Programme of Capital Expenditures” for the town. Details will be circulated by the town hall to all addresses in Baie-D’Urfé as is usual in the new year after the budget is settled. For now, here are some interesting “take away” points form the meeting:
- Before the meeting started it was noted that this is the last meeting to be held at Whiteside-Taylor. At the end of the evening it was revealed that future meetings will be held at the Fritz Farm building where it is hoped seating will be more comfortable and the sound system somewhat improved.
- Council wishes to work to keep taxes the lowest on the island. Nevertheless, there is an ambitious programme of things to be done.
- Not all items in the programme will be started, although it is hoped they will be. The town is still waiting on details of the commitment to the Agglomeration and will not know the actual amount of money available until this is known.
- $2,000,000 is allocated to work on the sound wall/Berm first phase between Lakeview and Gray.
- $50,000 is allocated in 2018 and 2019 for communications and IT support. This includes a rebuilding and marked improvement of the town website to improve access to information.
- $400,000 is allocated in each of the next three years for parks and recreation. A priority is the creation of a “multi surface” facility in one of the parks.
- $150,000 is for improvements to the town hall during 2018 and a further $1,350,000 in 2019 for “renovations”
- Road improvements account for $1,600,000 over the next three years.
Any questions about these figures should be addressed to the council.